API magazine
October 1, 2020

Munich Airport has been recognized for its effective climate change efforts by the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP), an international organization that supports companies and cities with the disclosure of environmental data

The CDP awards ratings to companies demonstrating strong performance in reducing CO2 emissions, thus helping to limit the rise in global temperatures. In the latest CDP annual report, Munich Airport maintained its strong position in the rankings with a rating of A-. With this result, it led the field of participating European airports.


As the first airport in the world to make the switch to energy-saving LED lighting for its ramp areas, Munich Airport has saved more than 1,000 tons per year in the illumination of ramps and roads and a further 3,600 tons in buildings. The airport is also making a rapid transition to electric vehicles in its ground fleet. So far 121 diesel or gasoline-powered vehicles have been replaced. In addition, passengers and visitors now have access to 85 charging stations for electric cars, with another 200 scheduled for installation in stages.

With its own high-efficiency, gas-fired combined heat and power (CHP) station, Munich Airport meets more than half of its electricity needs. The waste heat from the CHP station is recovered to cover almost all of the airport's heating and air conditioning requirement with no additional energy use. A further 250 climate protection measures have already been implemented, ranging from intelligent control technology in existing buildings to highly efficient climate control technologies and thermally optimized insulation in new ones. An example is the double-skinned glass 'climate facade' in the new satellite terminal, which opened in 2016.


"The high rating from the CDP is further proof that we are on the right track with our efforts to reduce emissions," said Dr. Michael Kerkloh, the CEO and President of Munich Airport. Dr. Kerkloh added: "By 2030 we plan to be the first airport in Germany to achieve carbon-neutral operations. To implement this ambitious climate protection program, we are investing a total of 150 million euros."


By 2030, the airport's own efforts are expected to reduce total emissions by 60 percent. The remaining 40 percent will be eliminated through appropriate offsetting measures, preferably through climate protection projects in the airport region. Since Munich Airport became one of the first signatories of the Net Zero Carbon Initiative of the Airport Council International (ACI), however, its climate targets have become much more ambitious: By 2050, Munich Airport intends to achieve net zero carbon emissions – along with around 200 other European airports.3

Download here the paper‘Our climate, our contribution’



Reference list:

3 Successful reduction in CO2 emissions. (2019, July 12). Retrieved September 18, 2019, from